radstock4u / villages / farrington gurney village pages
             
 
FARRINGTON GURNEY
       
       
   
   
- so here we are, Farrington Gurney's very own village home page online,
- now all we need is for you, the residents of Farrington Gurney, to pick up the baton and join in the race . . .
- local events, clubs, stories, news, birthdays, photo's, old picture postcards, anecdotes and similar memorabilia is what we need - and plenty of it!
 
Farrington Gurney - Farrington Inn (click to enlarge)
Farrington Gurney 1903
with Farrington Inn
   
             
   

 

From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868):

FARRINGTON-GURNEY, a parish in the hundred of Chewton, county Somerset, 8 miles N.E. of Wells, its post town, and 10 N.W. of Frome. The main road from Bristol to Wells passes through the village. This place takes the adjunct to its name from the Gournays, its ancient possessors, of whom Sir Thomas de Gournay was concerned in the murder of Edward II. at Berkeley Castle, for which his estates were confiscated, and Farringdon has since been annexed to the duchy of Cornwall, and leased to the Mogg family. Coal is obtained, but not to a large extent. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Chewton Mendip, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is a small stone edifice of Norman architecture. It is dedicated to St. John, and contains monuments of the Mogg family. There are charities amounting to about £10 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a parochial school. The Manor House is the principal residence."






 

Some Little-known
G.W.R. Facts and Features.

By C. S. LOCK.
INSTALMENT No. 9.


A booking office in a Somerset inn ! This is not a booking clerk's dream of Utopia, but one of the more unusual places on the Great Western Railway system where passengers may obtain their tickets. The inn is the "Miners' Arms." It is situated about forty yards from Farrington Gurney halt, which was opened in 1927 to serve a mining population of some seven hundred people. The proprietor of the inn is the Great Western Railway Company's agent. A tiny room, with a tiny window facing the halt, has been converted into the booking office. It is equipped with a ticket-issuing case, a dating press, train and fares
books, and a supply of handbills, folders, and posters. The booking office is situated imme­diately behind the public bar--but there is no direct entrance from the bar. Tickets may be obtained up to 7.0 p.m. on weekdays, but the office is not open on Sundays except when any special day or half-day excursions are run with bookings from the halt. An electric bell has been installed at the booking office window so that passengers may call for attention — and possibly for something more refreshing at the same time !
The number of tickets issued annually at this interesting booking office was between five and six thousand
.

 

   
       
Miners' Arms and GWR ticket office, Farrington Gurney (click to enlarge)
An unconventional setting for a Great Western Railway Booking Office.
The back yard of the "Miners' Arms", near Farrington Gurney halt. The office has proved a great convenience for local passengers.
   
   

 

Farrington Colliery appears to have been sunk shortly before 1738. The lease on the colliery was taken up, and let go, on several occasions until, on 25th October 1882, W.B. Beauchamp and Theophilius Gullick took over the lease for a 31 year period, this period beginning on 30th August 1880. With the up-and-coming Beauchamp family in the driving seat real development of the pit started to take place. Work continued at the pit until 1921, - the year of the General Strike.

drawing of Farrington Pit - (click to enlarge)

Farrington Colliery

   
             
             
             



Farrington Local Events | Farrington General Information | Farrington Birthdays and Anniversaries | Farrington Online | Farrington for YOU